EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Cemeteries
Add this location
to my itinerary

Lakeview Cemetery

 

 Left: Entrance to cemetery grounds, stone donated by Belmont Rose Granite; Top right: Keefer family plot; Bottom right: Roadway from new cemetery to old cemetery section. Photo: [Jessica Sutton].
 

GENERAL INFORMATION


The Lakeview Cemetery was established in 1886 in the outskirts of the Thorold city limits. This site is surrounded by forests, farms and a secluded portion of the Niagara Escarpment. The cemetery is broken up into two sections; the old section and the new section. The old section has a view of St. Catharines, and the old Welland Canal Seaway property and on a clear day, there is possibility of seeing Toronto across Lake Ontario.

 

The new section of the cemetery is a direct mirror image of the old section; this was done because during the 1960's an expansion of the Welland Canal was planned and the remains located in the old section were to be moved. This plan fell through, but, just in case, there are no spaces available for new burials in the old section; nor can anybody be buried in the corresponding new section.

 

Located at the entrance of the cemetery gates is a monument dedicated to Bishop Thomas Brock Fuller. He was considered to be the first bishop of the Anglican diocese of Niagara in 1875; he served until his death in 1884. The monument was created from stones of his home at Thorold Stone Road & Davis Road.

 

Some notable names:

 

- Battle: John Battle migrated to Canada in 1842 from Ireland and became proprietor of Thorold Hydraulic Cement Works.

 

- Keefer: The Keefer family migrated to the Niagara region in the 1790's from New Jersey, USA. George Keefer and his brother established themselves in Upper Canada (by building a log cabin), later returned to New Jersey to get the rest of their family and returned. George recieved 600 acres of land in what is now the city of Thorold. Located just outside of downtown Thorold is the Keefer Mansion, that now serves as a restaurant/inn; originally was the upgraded home to the Keefer family.

 

- Donnelly: The Donnelly family emigrated in 1840s from Ireland and settled in the township of Biddulph, ON. Family gained the nickname 'The Black Donnellys', and were subject of a massacre in 1880. Son, Patrick is buried in the cemetery (not killed in massacre). James, Johannah (parents), John, Thomas and Bridget were all killed in 1880. Their family story is noted as an unsolved mystery of Canada.

 

 


Photo Gallery

 

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download Lakeview Cemetery TripClip (mp3 format)

 

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Cemetery Tour of Niagara.

 


Hours of Operation

Gates opened from dawn to dusk; warning! can be locked in accidentally after dusk

 


DIRECTIONS

From Toronto:
-          Take Gardiner Expressway W
-          Continue onto QEW
-          Merge on 403 W
-          Keep left onto QEW (signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie)
-          Take exit onto 406 S toward Thorold/Welland/Port Colborne
-          Take exit onto 58 S toward Thorold/Niagara Falls
-          Turn left (north) onto Taylor Road/Thorold Townline Road
-          Keep left at fork and continue down Thorold Townline Road
-          Destination will be on left; across from Walker Industries


From Niagara:
-         
Take Thorold Stone Road towards 58 N
-         
Turn right (north) onto Taylor Road/Thorold Townline Road
-         
Keep left at fork and continue down Thorold Townline Road
-         
Destination will be on left; across from Walker Industries

 

 



Further Information

 

Niagara Genealogy: Town of Thorold

 

The City of Thorold: Cemetery Department

 

Keefer Mansion History


Canadian Mysteries: The Black Donnelly's

 

 

Ownership & Management

The City of Thorold

Admission Fee

Free

Address

3651 Town Line Road E
Thorold, Ontario
L2V 3Y5

Telephone

905-227-1911

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.124471
Longitude -79.176128

Administration

Mary Comazzolo
Tel 905-227-1911
Website http://www.thorold.com/siteengine/activepage.asp?PageID=51

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY